Montreal Math Club

Mathematics students in Montreal - Étudiants de mathématiques à Montréal

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bruno
Admin

Location : the infinite, frictionless plane of uniform density

PostSubject: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm curious to know. I don't feel that I'm an excellent problem solver myself, and fortunately it seems that many good mathematicians are in the same position.

Do you prefer mastering general theories, or do you prefer being good at solving specific problems which do not fit into the "bigger picture" of mathematics? scratch

Last edited by Bruno on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mathclub.justforum.net
Mohammad
Descartes
Descartes

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: mastering general theories which so far I couldn't do, but being good at solving problem gives confidence to be successful in mastering theories, bullshit! when you got an answer let me, this one creeps me out bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruno
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Why "bullcrap"? Why are you creeped out?
Back to top Go down
Mohammad
Descartes
Descartes

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Because I don't believe what I am saying and this question was in mind and you dug it up! I enjoy to be mastered in a theory but more suffer that I can't get involved in other theories, by the way when I am not genius I just better shut up and get used to what I am and dig in this question again, now I feel really bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruno
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Don't feel bad Mohammad, you have no reason to feel bad! alien

Personally my feelings toward this question are not negative. Sure there are more things to know than we will ever be able to know in a lifetime, but in my opinion that's good. It means we can choose what we want to learn!

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence Mohammad.
Back to top Go down
peyman
Euclid
Euclid

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 pm

How important is being good at problem solving?

Well, if you can solve important problems then it is very important to be good at problem solving!

There is a lot of math out there. It would be impossible to master everything. But you don't really need to master everything, you can pick a certain branch of mathematics and try to learn as much as you can.

In general research is a little different from the kind of problem solving we are doing here because most often you don't know the statement of the problem. Lots of effort is usually made to formulate a reasonable problem.

Solving problems form math competitions are like exercises to keep you in shape and keep your mind open. I think it is important to be able to solve this kind of problems even if you don't use the specific techniques in your research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruno
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:37 pm

Great answer! Very Happy

Would you say that coming up with a good problem is usually as hard (or perhaps even harder?) than trying to solve it afterwards?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?   

Back to top Go down

Just how important to you is being good at problem solving?
Page 1 of 1